Working in an ambitious and collegial environment
The research will be conducted in close consultation with the conservators and carried out in collaboration with ASML, the Cultural Heritage Agency of the Netherlands, and the University of Amsterdam (UvA).
The candidate will be working for the Van Gogh Museum and will carry out most of the practical work at the Ateliergebouw in Amsterdam. The doctorate will be awarded by the University of Amsterdam.
The PhD candidate will work in an ambitious and collegial environment with the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Conduct a literature review and develop a full doctoral proposal
- Reconstruct and artificially age paint systems
- Evaluate micro-mechanical test methods to study physical-chemical changes affecting paint properties
- Create a state-of-the-art chemical analysis that will provide a solid chemical understanding of paint degradation
- The initial focus will be on paint defects typically observed in paints using the Prussian blue pigment
The deadline for application is September 12, 2021
Click HERE for further information on how to apply.