Application before June 2, 2021
The Van Gogh Museum (VGM) inspires a diverse audience with the life and work of Vincent van Gogh and his time’. All museum staff contribute their specific expertise to help achieve this mission.
In 2019, ASML became the Van Gogh Museum’s Partner in Science: a collaboration aimed at facilitating fundamental research focused on the conservation of the museum collection. The Collection Management & Restoration Department is now inviting applications for the following position:
Conservation Scientist (36 hours a week)
The Conservation Scientist works on behalf of the Van Gogh Museum to coordinate the research conducted in collaboration with ASML for the cultural sector. The Conservation Scientist will lead various subproject groups, including structuring and designing the data storage, analysis and FAIR data, and is responsible for safeguarding progress and quality on behalf of the museum. The Conservation Scientist will work closely together with the museum’s conservators and specialists from the Dutch Heritage Agency, the University of Amsterdam and ASML.
The Conservation Scientist will also contribute to longer-term research projects, taking personal responsibility for part of the research.
The Conservation Scientist will be a well-organised and enterprising colleague with the following attributes:
- A physical chemist or conservation scientist (at least Master of Science)
- Experience working in project organisations; you are a skilled project manager
- Strong communicator and able to work with and unite a range of corporate cultures within the project team
- Demonstrable expertise and experience as a cultural heritage researcher
- Able to conduct research using optical microscopy, Scanning Electron Microscopy with Energy Dispersive X-ray analysis (SEM-EDX) and X-ray fluorescence spectrometry (XRF)
- Experience with other analysis techniques such as Raman, FTIR spectrometry or HPLC is a plus
- Working proactively and efficiently, and have an eye for detail
- A good planner and organiser and collaboration oriented
- Excellent command of spoken and written Dutch and English
The Conservation Scientist will be welcomed into a cultural and commercial workplace at the heart of Amsterdam with the opportunity to advance their career and be an integral part of an international brand.
The Collective Labour Agreement for Museums applies. The gross full-time salary (36 hours) is between € 3,405 and € 4,576 per month, based on education and experience. Secondary benefits include an 8% holiday allowance, a Museumkaart and a health scheme. The appointment is for one year, with the option of extension to a maximum of 4 years.
Application via https://werkenbij.vangoghmuseum.nl/aanmaken-sollicitatie-incl-autorisatie-prs/standaard?VcSn=163.
For more information, please contact
Kees van den Meiracker, Head of Collection Management & Restoration, by calling +31(0)6-21511405.
The Van Gogh Museum is an organisation for everyone, and embrace the most diverse variety of people possible. Diversity underpins creativity, inspiration and innovation. The organisation personifies the mission to inspire a diverse audience and to be – and stay – relevant to as many people as possible. It goes without saying that your name, your roots, how you look or what you believe in is irrelevant. The Van Gogh Museum is here for you, too, and your application is more than welcome.